Heads up! The new WSIB Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Program of Care (mTBI POC) was released on October 5, 2020. This new mTBI POC includes changes regarding shorter intake eligibility, shorter total program duration, a higher number of total treatment visits, updated intake, mid-point and care, and outcome summary forms. Updated forms can be completed right in Universal Office, simply check the TX Template Library to download them to your system! Keep reading to find out more information about the latest important changes.
To be eligible for care under the mTBI POC, the patient must meet the following criteria:
- Diagnosed with a mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) by a physician or nurse practitioner
- Have negative findings on all neuroimaging studies if completed
- 18 years of age or older
- Within three months of their date of injury
The new mTBI POC is made up of two four-week blocks, and a supplementary treatment block may be available if approved. There are two different types of treatment blocks: with vestibular rehabilitation or without vestibular rehabilitation, as clinically required.
Block One: Weeks 1-4
- The patient has to attend at least five treatment visits.
- An initial assessment report must be submitted within two business days of the assessment.
- Patient-Specific Functional Scale (PSFS) and Rivermead Post-Concussion Symptoms Questionnaire must be submitted with the initial assessment report.
- At the end of block one, a mid-point report is to be sent within two business days of the last treatment date in this block.
Block Two: Weeks 5-8
- The patient has to attend a minimum of four treatment visits.
- At the end of block two, or whenever the patient is discharged, a Care and Outcomes Summary Report (COS) is to be sent within two business days of the last treatment visit in this block.
Supplementary Block: Weeks 9-12
- This treatment block has to be approved by WSIB before providing treatment.
- The patient must attend at least three treatment visits.
- The supplementary report must be submitted within two business days of the last treatment session.
The treatment block services codes and fees vary depending on whether the patient requires the additional intervention of vestibular rehabilitation. You can find these new service codes in the WSIB new mTBI Fee Schedule.
For the latest trends, tips, and industry news updates, keep checking our blog!