We recently talked about FSCO examinations. Here are a few key points of what to expect from a FSCO senior compliance officer during an examination:
- Ensuring that policies and procedures for medical billing and business practices are in place.
- Analyzing clinic day-to-day procedures to make sure they are performed in accordance with the regulations.
- Interviewing staff to confirm their understanding of stated procedures.
It’s clear that FSCO wants to find an efficient law-abiding business when examining your practice – and one of the most effective methods to achieving this is Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). The Standard Operating Procedures manual is a list of step-by-step instructions of all essential tasks for your practice. Following the SOPs manual will help you stay prepared for a FSCO examination, and will also benefit the clinic management altogether:
- Legal compliance: Once the clinic figures out the best way to complete each task while complying with the Insurance Act and regulations (big deal!), they will be done the way you want them to be done (setting it on a conveyor belt so to speak). Keep SOPs updated whenever there are any changes in the industry, and take a look at how ASPCApro goes about creating, implementing, and updating SOPs.
- Consistency of performing duties: The step-by-step manual will decrease employees’ stress level. It will also eliminate errors and different approaches caused by guessing how every procedure must be done.
- Increased productivity: The knowledge of how to complete each task that comes employees’ way – from patient intake to a LAT dispute – will raise their confidence and overall performance.
- Reduced learning curve: Having comprehensive SOPs will help new staff adapt to their role faster. Standard operating procedures can significantly reduce training time and cost. Learn The Benefits of Using Universal Office Help Centre to integrate it into an onboarding process. In our Universal Office Help Centre, you will find articles from how to create OCF claim form presets to how to monitor HCAI claim submissions.
- Prevention of knowledge loss: Do not rely on one person possessing all the knowledge of daily processes without it being documented. If a facility and its key employee will part their ways, SOPs will help to keep the business going smoothly and eliminate the chaos.
- Evaluation of individual performance: With employees following the same processes, it makes it easier to evaluate their performance against the same standards.
- Future growth: Thinking of expanding your business? Getting a new branch up and running becomes easier with ready-to-use SOPs. Following them will uphold your reputation and reduce the need for excessive guidance. Are you looking to fill out an admin position in your rehab clinic? Go to our blog for tips on how to find the right candidate.
Ask your team for suggestions on how to improve and create the ultimate guide to completing daily tasks – for example, by adding visual content (screenshots).
Tip: Presenting each team member – office admins and service providers – with their job description will provide a clear understanding of their responsibilities. It will also eliminate collisions that come from several people doing the same task or relying on each other to complete it.
Whether you work with accident benefits (MVA) or extended health benefits (EHC), establishing set procedures that comply with regulations will have a positive impact on your practice and will help maintain a high standard of service.
What methods do you use to streamline your business?