The Ontario Ministry of Health announced in April 2015 that it would begin regulating the psychotherapy profession. Following this announcement, HCAI implemented changes to remove unregulated psychotherapists from its system starting October 1, 2015.
What Does This Mean for Your Practice?
Practices offering psychotherapy have two main responsibilities to comply with the changes:
- Update HCAI Associated Providers list with a College Registration Number (CRN) for each psychotherapist in the practice. (Follow instructions below.)
- Discontinue using the professional code for unregulated psychotherapists, which will be invalid after October 1.
Update Existing Providers in HCAI
As an administrator, you can update existing psychotherapist providers on HCAI from Manage > Facility Management.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page until you reach the Associated Providers section.
- Click on the provider name link you want to update.
- Under the Profession Details heading, click the ADD PROFESSION button.
- In the new line, select Psychotherapist (Regulated) and enter the provider’s College Registration Number.
- Click SAVE.
For additional information, refer to instructions provided on HCAI.
You’ll want to add PRR profession code to the Staff Types library in Universal Office, and then update the profession for the individual provider. Follow the instructions provided in the Add and manage Staff Types knowledgebase article on our Online Help Centre.
For a full list of provider types, refer to the List of Regulated Health Professionals and Health Practitioners.