Universal Office, as well as other Microsoft SQL-based applications, require the SQL server to store and manage business data. That’s why your SQL server must always have the latest security updates (we talk about this in our It’s Time! How to Update Your Microsoft SQL Server blog).
But what about protecting the data itself?
Can you imagine losing the data you worked so hard to gather? No one wants to be caught in that situation. Unfortunately, we see it happen more often than one would expect. Backing up your data is now important more than ever – as it’s the best defense against ransomware and hard drive failures.
As you know, we do not host, store or backup your data to external devices – as the choice of where and how to back up your data is up to you. With Universal Office, you can schedule daily backups of your database together with attached documents. For step-by-step instructions, see the How to Backup Universal Office Data knowledge base article.
The Universal Office clinic management system is equipped with the Universal Backup utility that allows you to backup to local drives, USBs, external hard drives, and mapped network drives. While Universal’s Backup utility allows for a daily backup schedule, some may prefer to schedule more frequent backups – such as several times per day or hourly.
We have recently come across a simple, yet powerful tool that can back up your SQL data at any frequency. It’s called SQL Backup And FTP.
Why SQL Backup And FTP?
- Backup is done without interrupting database services.
- Ability to schedule backup multiple times per day.
- Multiple backup destinations – including cloud storage and network folders. Keep in mind that the Free edition doesn’t allow backup to Google Drive and Dropbox.
Tip: If you are planning to back up to a cloud, consider Sync, a Canadian cloud storage system. In addition to encryption, guaranteed privacy and affordability, most importantly it is PIPEDA compliant. Your patient health information will be stored in accordance with the Canadian data privacy regulations. Learn how to keep your personal and business information protected on our blog Security From Inside Out.
- Email notifications on job success and failure.
- Multiple backup jobs support. Free edition allows the backup of two databases.
- No credit card information is required to set it up. During the 14-day trial, you get to experience the Professional edition. After the trial, it automatically converts to the Free edition. You can compare editions and find more details about the included features here. A license key can be purchased at any time to upgrade.
What you need to know about SQL Backup And FTP:
- SQL Backup And FTP does not backup documents attached to patient files.
- When using SQL Backup And FTP on a remote server, it cannot backup to local files.
- The Free edition is limited to the backup of only two databases.
At the moment, SQL Backup And FTP is the best SQL Server backup software out there for those looking for a simple, affordable solution to SQL database backup multiple times per day.